Thursday, July 11, 2013

Amy Jarecki - How I Became A Writer

I just love hearing writers' stories of how they got into writing. This week I'm very pleased to welcome author Amy Jarecki to share her journey to becoming a full-time author.

~ * ~

I have always loved to write, like most authors, it’s in my blood. I wrote my first novel in the late 90’s, but in 2012, I left the corporate mix master, set up my home office and started writing full time:

I had a pretty darned good job...at least it paid well. I earned it too, got an MBA, fought my way up the ladder by working 14 hour days and proving myself capable of doing anything my arrogant male counterparts could do. After nine hours of interviews I landed my "dream job" (yeah right) as a plant manager in the plastics industry, a job in the exclusive men's club.

To make an eleven year journey short, after battling unions, leading a plant to the top in EVERY metric known to man, taking another plant from a $6MM loss to a $6MM profit in one year, I was lumbered with a bad decision. The company I worked for purchased another factory that was making a loss and dumped it in my lap. I had six months to close it down and bring the business into my plant...and start making a profit on sales negotiated with a losing margin. By the end of the six months, we had turned the corner and were making ground, though my margins had not made the miraculous leap that the company had hoped for. All of the sudden this golden girl started getting her ass kicked...for a bad decision from corporate. DON'T MESS WITH ME, YOU SONS OF BITCHES!

During this horrible time in my life, wondering if I was going to get fired, my (3rd MS) first book, Koicto, got published. I'd also lived frugally for years and built up my savings. I got another book contract (Chihuahua Momma, which comes out July 28th). About a year-and-a-half ago, my husband and I put our heads together and decided we'd take a chance and become a one-income family while I took the big leap and write full time.

In 2012, I wrote four 90K word romances, three of which are now under contract with a small press, and the fourth is being shopped by my new agent.

I have to tell you. It's been over a year, and I've yet to make any decent money. I couldn't have done this when I was younger, but now I have a husband who supports my efforts fully. I'm still working 14 hour days, but I'm doing something I love.

My advice to you? Find what you love to do and then find a way to make it happen.

~Write on friends!

 Amy Jarecki

Available July 28 at Turquoise Morning Press


In the frenetic world of canine pageants like Westminster, where dog hair flies and personalities diverge, Rebecca Lee remains in a cocoon of loneliness. Widowed, with two teenaged kids and a business to run, Rebecca would rather mow through five-hundred poodle cuts than think about dating. But when former quarterback Matt Johnson shows up to buy a Chihuahua, his irresistible grin rocks her world—until Matt’s ex decides she wants him back and Rebecca’s daughter decides she’s against her mom dating. Rebecca now has a choice—crawl back into her realm of dogs or fight for the powerful love that fills her soul.




3 comments:

Amy Jarecki said...

Hi Linda! Thank you so much for letting me "rant" on your blog! Oh, and Chihuahua Momma will be available through Amazon, Barnes and Noble and Kobo of course.

Have a fantastic day!

Judi said...

Great story. Nice to hear it. Good luck with your books. Judi

Amy Jarecki said...

Thanks, Judi!