Tuesday, January 17, 2023

Retirement? Hah. A Writer's Work is Never Done

 It's been almost two years since I retired from my job in social work and moved back 'home' to Pennsylvania. I'm fortunate to be in relatively good health and able to be active, so now what do I do? I lined up a volunteer opportunity for a few days a week. I planned to pour more time into my writing, as well expanding my work as an independent editor.

Those of you who write understand that just because you retire from other responsibilities, your writer's mind doesn't turn itself off. Ideas continue to flow. Characters demand their stories be told.

And here I thought I'd have more time for travel. (Well, I have time. Money is another matter, but why sweat the small stuff, right?) So I travel through my stories. Reading is a great way to see and experience the world through the imagination of the writer and the experiences of the characters. So is writing.

To that end, I have three books in the works for release this year--three very different stories and with several engaging characters.

Late Bloomers - A seasoned romance collection of the stories of four women: Daisy, Rose, Lily, and Iris (see a theme there?) for whom love got sidelined along the way. Now in their later years, love and romance come to them. Better late than never!



Almost Heaven - Women's fiction that begs the question: What if heaven is exactly what our own heart and soul desire most? What if eternity is our happy place? And what if you got a glimpse, but then had to come back? How would that change your life?



Child's Play - Suspense with a romance sub-plot and a sequel to A Private Practice. Detective Susan Wycoff has a new partner, a secret romance, and dead bodies turning up on playgrounds around the city. She's not a fan of change and prefers to be in charge. Her newly-assigned partner isn't making it easy. Neither is the distraction of romantic attraction.



Heaven knows what idea will pop up next and demand attention. Stay tuned!

                                           Linda

No comments: