Friday, May 17, 2013

How I Became A Writer - Allison Knight


This week, I'm pleased to welcome author Allison Knight who shares her journey into writing.

                                ~ * ~

 Years ago, my little sister and I played opera.  So what on earth does that have to do with being a writer? Why, I was into pretend. Of course, I was always the heroine. As I grew, I  read. One of my greatest joys was sneaking off to a private corner where I could read.  Once a week, we'd go to the public library and during those years I read every Cherry Ames Nurse books. Okay, so right away you can tell I went for  romantic stories.

It was about then I began to write, at first poetry.  In the eighth grade, one of the local organizations offered a scholarship award, a whole fifty dollars, based on the best essay. I abandoned poetry and turn to writing essays. I won the scholarship and I knew then I would be a writer. The question - what would I write -  never entered my mind. I would be a writer. I do have to smile though, remembering my college English professor. Nothing about my writing ability pleased her. In fact, if I remember correctly, she begrudgingly gave me a "C-" for a final class grade.

After college, I began  to teach, and met the love of my life, married and began our family. I discovered the romance genre. I found I loved the feel good, happy endings you always got with romances. One day I began a book which became the genesis for my passion to write historical romances. The book was well written - I thought. But I found problems with the book. The heroine's eyes changed color twice. A mother-in-law who played a small part disappeared, never to be heard from again. An important character suddenly appeared out of nowhere, and I remember thinking at the time, where did he come from. I sat in our bedroom, my reading corner and stared at that book. I just knew I could do a better job.

I dragged out the typewriter and announced I was going to write a book. My children thought it was hilarious and my daughter told me, "Oh, yea, Mom. When cows fly."
My husband didn't crack a smile, bless his heart. He built a place in the basement of our home so I had a special place to write. When I started having trouble planning the action, he suggested I plot the story out using a time line. He even supplied the paper. When I sold my first books I came home from school to find a stuffed toy cow, adorned with a set of wings flying around the family room attached to our ceiling fan.  It seemed "Cows could fly." I dedicated that first book to my children, telling them to look up.

I've learned a lot over the years but I do believe if I hadn't read so much and didn't love books, I would never have tried to write. And I found you can never learn too much. If you don't continue to grow, to develop, to improve, you can not succeed. Looking at each of my seventeen books I can truthfully say, I have learned, I have grown, I have improved. Am I finished developing, learning? Nope, not a chance. There's still a lot more to learn.


Available at Champagne Books

In the hospital they keep calling her Sam and telling her she's married to Alex Porter but she doesn't know this Alex. Then she discovers she's lost more than a year of her life and Alex can't, or won't, tell her what happened. He refuses to let her see or talk to her father and there is also something very important about Samantha, she can't remember.

Alex Porter can't explain how Sam was either pushed or jumped from a moving car traveling away from him, or why Sam's memory disappeared but he's sure her father played a role. All he can do is offer support as she recovers and wait for her to come to him as she had before the accident, hoping against hope, Sam's father has not ruined his marriage and driven away the woman he is starting to love.


You can find  Allison Knight on the web at:
www.AllisonKnight.com
"Heart-warming Romance with a Sensual Touch"



5 comments:

Herman and Dori said...

Allison, your new book sounds very intriguing. Best of success!

Allison said...

Linda, thanks for having me. I really love telling about the kids and that cow. Oh, boy the way, I still have her, the cow that is, wings and all, after nearly 30 years.

Liz Flaherty said...

Really enjoyed your post, Allison!

Viola Russell said...

I, too, loved books as a kid, and I decided I wanted to be a writer early on. I was into pretend as well, and as an only child, I knew how to entertain myself. Reading and writing became important parts of my identity.

Glynis Peters said...

Smiling at the cow joke. Enjoyed reading your writing journey, Allison.