Saturday, March 7, 2015

Brett - Next Time I'm Gonna Dance


March is National Women's History Month and the theme is Women Weaving Stories of Women's Lives. I'm sharing the story of a different woman from my books every day in March. Meet Brett, one of Emmie Steele's best girlfriends.

That's girl friend, not girlfriend. I mean, Emmie and I are friends, but not that kind of friend. Oh, why do I bother? I don't owe you an explanation of my relationship with Emmie. I'm an attorney and work in an environment that's often hostile to women. It helps that I stand nearly six feet without heels. I try my best to be imposing. I can take a hit with the best of them and bounce right back.

But, I have to tell you, my girl Emmie has more spunk, more determination and courage than anyone I know. Even in the middle of her own battle with breast cancer, Emmie is able to listen to my problems, caution me about my choices, and hold my hand when I'm falling apart but refuse to cry. I'm tough, or at least I like to think so. But Emmie's taught me a few things about being tough and about being vulnerable. It wasn't until I let myself be vulnerable that I truly found happiness. I often thought of dancing as a metaphor for what I do in court. I guess I learned to dance, too, in a different way.

To find out more about my fancy dancing, read Next Time I'm Gonna Dance. Also available in paperback at Champagne Books.

No comments: